Experiencing change in any sport can be challenging. Athletes invest their time, energy, and passion into their craft, making transitional events like joining a new team, adapting to a new coach, or moving to a new environment significant moments in their athletic journey. As a coach, it is crucial to understand how these changes can affect athletes and provide the necessary support to help them navigate these transitions successfully. In this article, we will explore five essential tips for coaches to assist their athletes in coping with big changes, fostering team spirit, and creating a positive team culture.

1. Recognize and Address Mental Health for Athletes:

"Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Don't neglect it." - Michael Phelps

Transitioning to a new team or coach can impact an athlete's mental health. Like Olympic swimming legend Michael Phelps suggests, it is essential to prioritize mental well-being. Encourage open communication and create a safe space for athletes to express their feelings and concerns. Pay attention to signs of anxiety or stress and provide resources for professional support if needed. By prioritizing mental well-being, coaches can help athletes thrive in the face of change.

2. Facilitate Smooth Transitions:

"Change is not always easy, but with the right support, you can adapt and excel." - Serena Williams

When athletes join a new team or adapt to a new coach, they need guidance and support to navigate the changes. Tennis superstar Serena Williams believes that with the right support, athletes can navigate change successfully. Take proactive steps to ensure a smooth transition by assigning a mentor or a buddy from the existing team to help the newcomer feel welcome and comfortable. Providing orientation sessions and familiarizing athletes with the team's dynamics and expectations can also aid in their adjustment process.

3. Emphasize Team Building and Collaboration:

"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships." - Michael Jordan

Moving to a new team or working with a new coach presents an opportunity to strengthen team connections. Basketball legend Michael Jordan highlights the importance of teamwork and collaboration. Engage athletes in team building games and activities that encourage collaboration, trust, and camaraderie. Foster an environment where athletes feel united in their pursuit of shared goals. By fostering team spirit, coaches can inspire loyalty and build a cohesive and supportive team.

4. Develop a Positive Team Culture:

"A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes." - Usain Bolt

Coaches play a pivotal role in shaping team culture. Sprinting sensation Usain Bolt emphasizes the power of a positive attitude. Encourage a positive and inclusive environment by setting clear expectations, fostering open communication, and valuing each athlete's contribution. Promote a growth mindset, where mistakes are seen as opportunities for learning and improvement. A strong team culture helps athletes feel supported and motivated during times of change.

5. Support Stress Management for Athletes:

"I learned that the greatest progress is made when I push through moments of discomfort." - Simone Biles

Change often brings added stress to athletes. Gymnastics icon Simone Biles believes in pushing through moments of discomfort for personal growth. Teach stress management techniques such as deep breathing exercises, visualization, or mindfulness. Encourage athletes to maintain a balanced lifestyle by emphasizing the importance of rest, nutrition, and self-care. By providing athletes with tools to manage stress, coaches empower them to perform at their best despite the challenges of change.

Managing big changes in sports requires a thoughtful and supportive approach from coaches. By recognizing the impact of change on athletes' mental health, facilitating smooth transitions, fostering team spirit, and promoting a positive team culture, coaches can help athletes cope effectively with transitions. By prioritizing the well-being and growth of athletes, coaches can cultivate an environment that breeds success, loyalty, and resilience. Remember, the most successful coaches are those who empower their athletes to thrive in the face of change and create a lasting legacy of achievement.

Getting to the Pros

Welcome to our new SFL Spotlight feature.  This is a series where we interview athletes whose lives are fueled by sports.  Some are professionals.  Some are not.  All are passionate about their performance, their potential, and their passion to learn, compete, and win.

One of baseball’s future stars, Sammy Infante, a 22-year-old infielder with the Washington Nationals, answered our questions about his career and what fuels him.  First, a little background: Sammy was drafted #71 in 2020 and played for the Fredericksburg Nationals.  Born in southern Florida with a family from the Dominican Republic, he can play second and third base.  Here’s what he had to say about this exciting time in his professional career.

1. When did you discover your passion for sport?
“I discovered my passion for sports, and baseball in particular, when my dad took me to the park for the very first time.  The way we bonded over that experience elevated my passion for baseball.”

2. Who are your sports heroes that inspire you to pursue excellence?
“I’d say Boston Red Sox’s David Ortiz, particularly the way he went about his work every day and treated everyone with love and respect.”

3. What is the greatest piece of advice you have ever been given?  Who gave you this advice and what did it mean to you at the time you received it?  

“The best advice I have ever received was, “If you don’t like your current situation, play towards the situation you want to see yourself in.  I received this advice from Derek Hill, he is in AAA with the Nationals.  He gave me this advice during a difficult time in 2023 Spring Training.  It really resonated with me.”

4. What mental tools do you use when you’re under pressure on and off the field?
“In my opinion, pressure is a false image brought upon someone from an outside perspective.  If I take care of myself the way I’m supposed to--practicing, watching team film, or going to the medical room--I know I will be fine.”

5. Do you have advice for younger athletes pursuing their dreams?
“Being an athlete isn't an easy thing to do.  It takes sacrifice and dedication.  Make sure you love whatever sport you choose; down the road there is gonna be traffic.  To get through those hard times you have to love it.”

6. Do you have any pregame rituals that you use to calm yourself for your next competition, and if so, what are they?
“I do.  I have to enter into a certain head space before a game.  The easiest way to get there is by isolating myself for a little while and using my headphones to get locked in.”

7. What are some of your goals for after you are done participating in your sport?
“After my sports career, I’m mainly looking forward to starting my family.  Sports will no longer be my #1 objective in life, it’ll be my family.”

8. Who or what is your biggest motivation to keep going in your sport and in your life?
“My main motivation that keeps me going is knowing I have a family that depends on me—parents I want to provide for.”

9. What fuels you?
“What really fuels me is how hard my dad worked to provide for my 4 sisters and myself.”

10. What impact do you hope to have on your sport?
“I just want to inspire as many people as I can to watch and play the game I love, specifically playing the game the right and respectful way.”

We encourage you to follow along on this new series with more guests who share insights on their careers.  Feel free to follow us on our social accounts and become a member on our website to stay up to date with all that Sport Fuels Life has to offer!